MOB. 07889 435693

Taunton Plastering Logo new edit

Blog

Welcome to the Taunton Plastering blog

By tauntonplastering, Mar 8 2016 01:49PM

Recently we got to try a new product which was sent to us by a company called Thermalime (part of the Anglia Lime Company). This was a bag of their lime-based insulating plaster. This was our first time using the product and we were really pleased with its resultls. For instance, it was very easy to use and also easy to mix. We used this on the internal part of the fireplace (image below) just as a trial to see how we got on with it.


The product boasts that it is a "insulating lime render that is fully vapour permeable, has fantastic elasticity and durability. Thermalime is a one coat plaster that can be applied at any thickness, on any background."


We were impressed with the product as unlike many other lime plasters, it set much faster, which meant that the plaster could be applied and finished, depending on conditions, the same day. We did find this to be true, as it it did set very quickly which made the job easier - but without being so quick that it couldn't be controlled.


We love the product and will be using it again.





By tauntonplastering, Mar 1 2016 09:55AM

In this case, the client was experiencing damp and water penetrating from the exterior of the building. To rectify this, we hacked off the old, exisiting porous rendering and re-applied two coats of waterproof sand cement. We also drilled a DPC using Sovereign Chemicals damp proof cream for added security.


The image below shows the before and after images, although the first image is after we hacked off - we were too eager to get started we forgot to take a picture until this point!

By tauntonplastering, Feb 17 2016 07:31PM

Here are some images of a safe artex removal using Eco Solution's brand: X-Tex. This product is incredibly simple to use, but please remember to use waterproof dust sheets and tape EVERYTHING up (that's no exaggeration either).


The way the product works is simple, all you need to do is brush it on, walk away for an hour - perhaps longer depending on how much artex is present, or how much paint is on the artex. Then simply scrape off! Please wear goggles when scraping as it does literally fall down from the ceiling.


If you read our previous blog post on artex removal - the safe way - you'll understand the true effectiveness of this product.


We finished the ceiling by plastering with Gypsum Multi-Finish, a product we couldn't be without.



By tauntonplastering, Jan 22 2016 06:39PM





This was our first time visiting Weybridge.... and we doubt it will be the last. We have to admit that this was one of the nicest places we have visited for work (aside from the West Country of course!!!) We came here to plaster a whole kitchen, plaster parts of the clients bedroom where a dado rail had been removed and also we plastered over the serving hatch which was originally in the kitchen opening out into the open plan livingroom/dining area.


Underneath the obligatory scenic images (this was the view from our clients livingroom by the way - wow!) we have images of the kitchen that we worked on. First you'll see the walls with plasterboards on, followed by the pictures showing the room freshly plastered so you can see the before and after.



View from the living room
View from the living room

Plaster board one.
Plaster board one.

Plasterboard one - now plastered
Plasterboard one - now plastered


Plasterboard two
Plasterboard two

Plasterboard two - now plastered
Plasterboard two - now plastered


Plasterboard three
Plasterboard three


Plasterboard three - now plastered
Plasterboard three - now plastered

The ceiling was a tricky one initially, as in kitchens there tends to be a build up of grease, which even when uni-bonded, will make plastering slightly more difficult. We had to give it a good three coats of uni-bond, compared to the usual one/two coats, simply because the steam and the grease had got into the boards. This could cause plaster to dry too quickly and graze (have small web like cracks all over) a result from too dry plaster. We prevented this by applying additional coats of uni-bond. It really came up amazing.


Plastering images on their own never quite seem as exciting as the finished article. But after seeing some of the bespoke kitchen ideas from our client, we can guarantee that this kitchen will look incredible. Look out for these on the gallery page in the coming months.









By tauntonplastering, Jan 17 2016 10:55AM

Recently we've had a lot of requests for damp proofing jobs, so we felt it only fair to post some of the images of current projects and our solutions to the problem.


This client had severe damp problems due to the poor building work carried out by their next door neighbours who had built a retaining wall extremely close to the property (we're talking inches). One part of the wall had bridged the DPC of the clients house, allowing water to go up and above the exisiting damp course and into the property.


The only solution we could do until the wall was taken down was to use a tanking system inside and also double drill injectection with DPC cream. The ground level was higher next door so instead of the normal 1.8 meters high allowance for damp proofing, we actually had to take it to 2.4 meters to solve the problem.


We then used waterproof sand cement and skimmed to a perfect finish. This waterproofs the inside of the house against any penetrating water from the outside. This has solved the internal problem, but not the external. The outside retaining wall needs to be moved back to at least a meter to allow maintenance and service to the clients house.


Negotiations are still being made with the neighbour regarding the retaining wall.



RSS Feed

Web feed

Wilf.2